You are here
Safe Routes to School - What's Happening in Humboldt
SAFE ROUTES TO SCHOOL (SR2S) is a nationwide movement to make it safer for children to walk and bicycle to school. SR2S promotes walking and bicycling to school through targeted education, encouragement, enforcement, and engineering projects. SR2S programs are alive and active in Humboldt County.
SR2S TASK FORCES - Meetings of the Countywide SR2S Task Force and the Greater Eureka SR2S Task Force.
LOCAL DATA - View parent survey results, walkability audit results, and other reports from schools in Humboldt County.
Local Walking Maps - School Walking Maps / Mapas de Paseos a las Escuelas Walk to school! Walking maps and arrival/dismissal maps (mapas de carga y descarga de estudiantes).
- School Crossing Guard Training Manual (2015) Made expressly for Humboldt County rural communities! (460 KB)
- Safe-Routes-to-School Programs in Rural California: A Guide for Communities & Partners Developed by Redwood Community Action Agency (2015). (4.9 MB)
- Transportation Safety Guidelines - A parent guide to help create a safe environment for children traveling to and from school (compiled by Redwood Community Action Agency and Humboldt County DHHS Public Health)
- (Video) "Getting Humboldt Students Moving Through Safer Routes" by CA4Health. Two thumbs up!
- (Video) "Maximizing Districtwide Participation in Safe Routes to School" (with Dan Pires, Transportation Director of Eureka City Schools)
Links to SR2S Advocates & Resources from local to international levels
Some of Safe Routes to School's benefits:
☺ Makes safer school routes by improving intersections and sidewalks
☺ Reduces traffic congestion and greenhouse gas emissions from automobiles
☺ Improves students' health and their sense of their surroundings
☺ Builds working relationships and friendships in the community
☺ Promotes and builds active lifestyles and livable communities for everyone.
In 1969, 50% of school children in the United States walked to school (US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention). Today in Humboldt County, 20% of school children walk or bike to school.